With the gorgeous weather we've been having lately you can guess where we've been spending most of our time. The little guy has been helping getting our vegetable garden and berry patch set for the season. The big guy has been re-doing our front walkway and preparing the garden for extension. And I've been working on some garden magic, building planter boxes and a number of other projects to get our yard looking swell.
Sewing has been put on the back burner...until today. We had the perfect rainy day.
Grateful for the break from all the outdoor projects and happy the garden was getting a good soak, we pulled out a box of Lego and went to town. While the guys kept building I snuck off and finished a quilt I've been working on. I received the Riley Blake 2015 Challenge fabric from a fellow member of the Ottawa Quilt Guild who as unable to take part.
This isn't the greatest picture, I'll post some nice ones after I give it a good wash and fluff it out, but you can an idea of what it looks like. This was my first time doing the blossom pattern and I'd really like to do a full quilt of it in the future. This is just a sofa blanket for cold nights and movie snuggle time. I improved the stitching by looking at one of my favourites int he selection, which has large flowers on it.
I'm big into repurposing/reusing things and this quilt it a fine example of how things tend to get a new life around here. We had this beige blanket kicking around for a few years. When we bought it it was soft and lovely, but after the first wash I found it started to snag on the skin on my hands and feet. It only got worse over time. [Ya, my hands and feet are not the smoothest, so what?! I blame a mixture of excema, hard work and walking around barefoot for most of my life and I think they're fine just the way they are]. All that to say I began hating the blanket. It ended up in a box, just taking up space and waiting for the day when I'd finally give it away. I was about to pass it on when I realized I could give it new life as the batting in a new quilt so that is what I did.
The backing of the quilt is also repurposed fabric. This time from a sheet. I bought a set of jersey sheets last year thinking they'd be cozy, but alas, they ended up being a bit too warm for us and just didn't feel right. They too were sitting packed away, living as emergency sheets that never got used. Then I thought, this would be a perfect backing for a cozy sofa quilt!
So the sofa quilt is made (finally!) AND it allowed me to repurpose some fabric I had in the house, complete the Riley Blake Challenge, try a new pattern I hadn't used before and to practice free motion quilting and improv quilting. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and am looking forward to seeing it all fluffed out after it has it's first wash.
Next project will have to wait for a sunny day - complete the planter boxes I've been working on (thanks to Ana White's amazing free plans). Can't wait to build more!
Maker of things. Lover of colour and texture and contrast. Thinker & creator. Daughter, sister, partner, mother, friend. Mighty woman.